Friday, July 22, 2011

Just Plain Delicious

So, I decided that I wanted lobster. And my dear Kroger in the suburbs only offers lobster in 2 forms....frozen or live. I then realized that a real chef can cook a live lobster. So I stepped outside my comfort zone, and dropped a live lobster in a pot of boiling water. Then I called my best friend and immediately asked for comfort! She has boiled lobsters flown in fresh from Maine by her wonderful hubby!
I have to say....the effort was worth the reward!

The recipe comes from a cookbook that my DH bought me when I first started cooking 4 years ago. When he bought it, it really only served as a coffee table book. The recipes were beyond my experience, and anything that had more than 5 ingredients was off the list of possible experiments! So this week, I pulled it off the shelf, and went to work! No problemo! The book is by a wonderful, and self taught, chef by the name of Patrick O'Connell. He has an Inn in Virginia where lucky people can experience first hand his culinary genius. www.theinnatlittlewashington.com

I made an appetizer of Lobster with Rosemary Cream Sauce followed by a meal that was based on another of his appetizer recipes. If by chance he ever sees this I apologize for butchering your beautiful recipe. It was supposed to be a simple beautiful recipe. I missed some ingredients, subbed a few things, and added a very pretty filet.


His lobster recipe actually for Fresh Main Lobster (not an option in Rockwall, TX) and for me to dismember the poor lobster and pan sear it instead of just boiling it. I don't own a cleaver, and couldn't do it anyway...so I know that my version of the recipe cost the dish some flavor, but it was still amazingly delicious! 

Another FAVORITE of mine! My MIL bought me this pan and it is AMAZING! Perfect to boil my lobster in! 

Here he is taking a cool bath after cooking...to stop the cooking process he went straight from the pot to a bath of ice water.

While he was cooking, I was working on a stock of deliciousness!

Add lobster and cream...

Presto! I served the claw out of the shell, but the tail split in half and in the shell. The sauce was to die for, I kind of wanted to just drink it. My trainer would not be proud! ;)

For the main course I took one of Patrick's appetizer recipes and changed it up a little to make it into a main course. I lacked enough mushrooms to do it like I would have liked, but it turned out great anyway.

This is what raw sheets of phyllo dough look like if you have ever wondered. Sprinkled with a mixture of parmesan cheese and herbs.

Then basted in butter.

My handy dandy food processor again to help me make the mushroom infused entree!

And the beautiful finished product! A couple of parmesan/herb phyllo dough crisps, in a mushroom sauce, topped with a filet cooked medium rare and a spinach salad. 






Cheers!!
Kalee

No comments:

Post a Comment