Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July

What a better time to eat then on a holiday! Despite the fact that The 4th of July is typically herald in by hamburgers and hotdogs, I decided to go a healthier, and lighter route this year. 
Before I pos pictures of last night's yummy meal though, I must give credit where credit is due! My wonderful husband is responsible for pretty much all the grill work that you see. I may prep it all, but if it goes on the grill, he is the one handling it. He is a wonderful griller, and I will, without fail, burn myself! 
I did not get shots of all my prepping b/c my hubby had the camera, so basically tonight all you will see is the results!
Shrimp cocktail! I boiled the shrimp in water that had been simmering with peppercorns, Old Bay and bay leaves.



To make salsa I have my own recipe. I despise raw onions, so I used a tomato, cilantro, a tomatillo, a half of a fresh jalapeno seeded and chopped, salt, pepper, and freshly grilled corn. I grilled the corn without the husks to get the charred flavor. BTW, seeding a jalapeno without gloves...not recommended...

YUM!

The yummiest addition, creamy jalapeno ranch! Buttermilk, a little sour cream, pickled jalapeno, cilantro, and a packet of Ranch mix

Corn tortillas

And the finished product! Halibut, grilled after marinating in EVOO, Old Bay, salt & pepper, shredded lettuce, salsa and a little creamy jalapeno! Squeeze some fresh lime on top, yum!

For dessert, phyllo cups, filled with mascarpone cheese with freshly made whipped cream folded in, topped with strawberries and blackberries. I actually did not have mascarpone cream, so I found a substitute recipe made from cream cheese, sour cream and heavy whipping cream. Whip cream is EASY to make, just takes heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla! A red white and blue dessert! 

Cheers!
Kalee


No comments:

Post a Comment